Est. 1899

Our History

Services began in the area with a Pastor Doescher coming from Houston on horseback in 1895. A congregation was organized with the parish called St. Martin's Lutheran Church in January 1899. The group met in the Waldheim community. A constitution recorded in 1902 omits the name "St. Martin's," but lists the congregation’s name as "German Lutheran Church" and stated that only the German language was to be used. A frame building in Floresville facing C Street at the corner of 6th was purchased in 1907. A Bell tower was added to the front of the building in 1916. The congregation was renamed First Evangelical Lutheran Church. In 1942 a new brick church and educational annex was built facing 6th Street and dedicated in August of that same year. In July 1997 a 7,000 square foot addition for education, fellowship, and a preschool was built. A house across 6th Street was purchased and named the "DoJoy House" as well as the house behind the church on C Street which was named the "Lutherhaus". Pastor John Conrad was called to First Lutheran and began his ministry in 2012.